FREEZER FRIENDLY SWEET AND SOUR MEATBALLS
ngredients for the Meatballs
- 4 pieces of soft white bread (hot dog buns work well too)
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 egg yolk
- 3 lbs of meatloaf mix (or 1 lb of each pork, veal, and ground beef)
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley (or 1 T. dried parsley)
- 1 large garlic clove (pressed)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
Ingredients for the Sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 2 15 oz cans of smooth tomato sauce
- 1 18 oz jar of apricot preserves
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper
Directions for the Meatballs
- Preheat oven to 425 convection bake, or 450 regular. You will be using two racks.
- Tear bread into small pieces and place in large bowl. Pour milk and egg yolks over the bread, and allow it to sit for 5 minutes. Then mash into a smooth paste using a fork.
- Add the parsley, salt, pepper, crushed pepper, and pressed garlic clove, and stir to combine
- Using your hands, add in the meatloaf mix until fully combined with the other ingredients.
- Shape the mixture into tablespoon sized balls, using either a tablespoon or a cookie scoop.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
Directions for the Sauce:
- Heat vegetable over medium low heat, then add finely diced onion. Allow it to soften but not brown, at least 5 minutes.
- Add remaining sauce ingredients and stir well over the heat until the preserve dissolve and are blended with the other ingredients.
- Allow the sauce to come to a boil, then reduce heat to low and allow to simmer.
- The sauce will thicken in 15-20 minutes
To Serve Right Away:
- Even though these are “freezer” sweet and sour meatballs, you can obviously serve them right after preparing.
- They don’t need to simmer any more in the sauce, they should be fully cooked in the oven. Simply mix them gently with the sauce and serve.
- Freezing Instructions
- Allow the meatballs and sauce to come to room temperature.
- The meatballs should be flash frozen on a clean cookie sheet for 12-24 hours, then repackaged in a freezer bag or be vacuum sealed
- In a freezer bag, they will last about a month. Vacuum sealing will allow you to make them six months ahead.
- The sauce can go in any lidded container. Label it, as it looks just like any tomato sauce product in the container.
- Reheat frozen sauce in a large saucepan. You may need to microwave it a minute or two to be able to pop it out of the container
- Once the frozen sweet and sour sauce has been heated through in the saucepan, add the frozen meatballs and allow them to heat through in the sauce, about 15 minutes.