Sweet and soft sandwiches made up of chocolate chip cakes and homemade marshmallow flavored filling.
For the filling:
To make the cakes:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees with two racks, in the upper middle and lower middle positions. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Beat the butter and sugar in a stand mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, or about 5 minutes. Beat in the egg and vanilla and scrape down the side of the bowl.
3. Combine the flour, salt, and baking bowl in a large bowl. Reduce the mixer speed to low. Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture 1/2 cup at a time, alternating with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour. Stir in the chocolate chips by hand or on the lowest mixer speed.
4. Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, scoop batter onto baking sheets spaced 2 inches apart in all directions. There should new 12 cakes. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes, switching the baking sheets halfway through. When fully baked, a cake tester will come out clean but the cakes will still be soft. Remove to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
To make the filling:
5. Beat the powdered sugar and butter together until light and fluffy using a stand mixer on medium speed. Add the salt and vanilla. Add the marshmallow cream and beat until fully combined.
6. Spread 1/3 cup of filling onto the flat side of half of the cakes. Place the remaining cakes on top to make a sandwich. Serve immediately or refrigerate.
If the filling seems too soft and is not staying on the cakes, refrigerate them until it firms up.
Keywords: Whoopie Pies, kids party desserts, chocolate chip Whoopie Pies